This is part of what remains of the Glamorganshire Canal in Whitchurch, Cardiff. From 1795 the canal joined Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff and allowed barges to carry iron and coal to Cardiff where it was exported to many parts of the world. Phillip FLETCHER (bap.1795) lived in Cardiff and worked on the barges. Click on the photo to learn more about the Glamorganshire Canal.
This is what remains of the Aberdare Canal (date 2002). This part is the head, or beginning, of the canal in Cwmbach. It was opened in 1812 and joined with the Glamorganshire Canal. It too had barges carrying coal and iron to Cardiff for export. Noah FLETCHER (born 1849) was the canal foreman lockeeper in Cwmbach. Click on the photo to learn more about the Aberdare Canal.